Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Men in trees...


Woke up today with the alarm and simply had a lie in and listened to the music that kind of floated in and out of my consciousness. The sky is gray and rain fell like peaceful tears on the windows and slowly slipped down to the sills. In the warm and early morning light I paused and let my mind walk easily through the events of the past few weeks.

Much has transpired in my life, as of late, but most thoughts and events have been captured in the many journals that travel with me, in my knapsack, always at the ready for pen and time. Spring time is upon me and all the feelings and thoughts that come with it as the earth opens back up to the possibility of new life and growth.

It has been quite an interesting journey this year, thus far. New friends made, choices happening and a resolute quiet affirmation that this life is good and well for me. Today marks another holiday of sorts, but my pattern there has been broken. Now awake after a few more hours of sleep I watch several young guys work on my trees. While most arbor duties I can handle, the actual topping out and pruning of several of my mature trees is best handled by a professional with the tools of his trade.

Today will be flush with activity once I get around, but I am enjoying simply padding around the house tending to domestic things and listening to the banter of men outside and the singing of the chains saws as they make their cuts. Soon I will head out into the country to my sisters home to plant some shrubs for her and move furniture around. Brett (tree guy) will follow me out there and we hope to get her apple trees in shape for a new growing season. We make some of the best pies from those trees! I also have to pick up a new sweater chest that finally came up for sale! I am excited about the new furniture, but will have to move it later in the week when my Dad and brothers can help. It is one big piece! Beautiful quarter sawn oak with iron hardware. It is going to look great in the bedroom with the armoire I picked up last fall, plus, I could use the storage for all the sweaters that found their way home with me this season. :)

Tonight still remains yet a mystery, meaning, I have not made a decision about what to do. I am just sitting here listening to the parade on the TV and realizing that this day's festivities are best left to the amateurs. I have no reason to be out and about so may simply enjoy a day off with myself. I am thinking due to the weather that some art and music might be in store for me. I am feeling a bit contemplative, but my coffee shop lies on the parade route and also at the heart of the Irish district, so that may be out until much later today. Maybe there will a window of time to slip in between the crowds of revelers and grab some table time to sketch and think.

Might give Michael a call soon on his lunch. I would like to get dinner tonight and spend some time together. Knowing him, this evening will be simple. I like simple. :)

All is well here and I am looking forward to a few days off, filled with good things. Nothing much bothering me at the moment and just sipping my first cup of coffee and waking my mind up to the day. I trust all is well with you.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment