Sunday, July 29, 2012

Rare, please.

I stood there in my tall, crisply starched chef toque and dress whites slicing roasted beef for the mass of happy, celebrating friends and family of the bride and groom. As the hour passed I continued serving 240 guests a total of eight full Prime Ribs that I and my team had prepared during the day. I watched the lines of people slowly retreat from the buffet to return to the Grand Ballroom to eat, enjoy each others company and start the party that would last well into the early hours of the next morning. It looked as if dinner was a smashing success.

My hand were cramping as I put down the meat fork and slicing knife and I stepped back from the carving station, smoothed my apron and stood at ease, listening to the music with a content smile on my face. The long line of tables that held all the food we had prepared stretched down the high glass atrium like a silent sentinel standing watch with me. They were still burgeoning with mixed cold salads, pasta dishes, cheese  and fruit trays, vegetables, rice dishes, roasted potatoes, breads and the different chicken, pork and beef dishes, though a bit depleted for the efforts of the hungry guests. I stood just out of reach of the bright warming lights of the cutting board and now that I had time to pause and reflect after twelve hours of cooking, I have to admit, at the very moment of success and elation of a job well done, my heart has never been heavier and more conflicted with the crushing emotions and myriad of feelings welling up inside me.

It had been a long and full day in the kitchens, the culmination of a week of planning, grocery and product ordering, menu structuring, recipe selection and food preparation all building up to the incredibly special night for the joining of these two families by the marriage of their two beautiful children. From the intricate canapes  and delectable hors d' oeuvres passed by the wait staff during the cocktail party, to the dinner that had just been served, to the desserts and cakes that weighed down the table in the Ballroom, our contribution to their special evening had been performed without a hitch or flaw in execution. It felt so good to be back performing and executing the culinary passion that I loved.

My heart crumpled like wet newsprint and still managed to ache and shatter quietly inside me. I have never felt like such an alien and outsider in my entire life. The crushing weight and trembling inner feeling of being "other" and "different" than all of them had never truly come to bear in my mind the way that it did as I stood there confused and battered by the mingled, conflicting thoughts. All of this...these rites of passage, the mingling of families, the celebration with friends, the affirmation and acceptance of our peers, the celebration of love and marriage itself by relations and social groups is not allowed for my kind. I stand on the outside of the circle looking in.

I do not know what it is like to grow up like the vast majority of humans in my own country. I never will experience being teased by family and school friends when I find that special person and their name seems to be falling out of my mouth constantly, never hiding my attractions and worrying if others will still love and accept me. Other like me are not allowed to date openly and freely in public without the worry of violence, condemnation and confrontation from strangers. The blessing and approval of society at young and growing love does not exist for my kind. We are the "other". We are the "different". We are the "they".

Groups of those we love and are related to will not gather to feast and celebrate when we commit ourselves to each other. There will be no happy groups in churches attending and affirming our love and life time commitment to each other. The carefree strolls and public displays of affection for our boyfriend will not be accepted or allowed. By law...our love and commitment is illegal, less than, devalued, scorned and vilified. Groups of people across the country are devoted to ensuring that true equality for other humans like me is never allowed. They condemn and hate us verbally, socially, emotionally, spiritually and physically at every chance they can get. They condone this with their religion and say it is commanded by God. We are not allowed. We are not equal. We are below them and not worthy of even the most foundational institutions of human civilization. We cannot marry. We are denied family. We are forced to live on the margins. We are the outcasts.

I stood there and cried inside myself. I was so conflicted. I was truly incredibly happy for this couple and all the amazing people that had gathered. I did not begrudge them the beautiful and amazing celebration that I was witnessing, but inside of me, my heart was breaking.


I had never felt like a minority in this world until that moment.

Unclean. Unworthy. Unwanted.

Less than. Not equal. Not allowed.

After all that life, work and toil I had then been forced to carve my unprepared heart into hundreds of bloody, beating pieces and serve it, slice by slice to be devoured by those who are worthy, who do matter, who are blessed.

I had to smile and like it.

I have to do it every day.

daemon

3 comments:

  1. Daemon,

    I have not commented over the summer because I had advice that isn't always easy to accept. But I see that you figured out that life isn't really worth living, eventually, once you've had a rest from activity, without work. So I'm glad that you accepted that fact. One thing that I keep seeing when you write is that you have a way with words when it's you writing. A while back I felt like you were trying to re-create Kurt Vonnegut's voice..which would be fine if you were Kurt or wrote like him but you're not and you don't in your own voice. Kurt wrote like that and there was a message even though it was short sentences. I love Kurt Vonnegut's works but that is not your style. So I'm glad that you stopped writing like that. This post here you were flowing well but then you stopped describing the event and started writing a tragedy. I understand..we who understand know what you mean, but you don't have to go on about it. This will be hard for you to accept but take it from me, when you go on and on about the tragedy in your life people will only take in so much and then it's off-putting to them and they cease to feel you because of their own lives and problems. I'd run from anyone who runs to you every time you write about the tragedy because they will bring you more pain. Run towards those who, having problems, mishaps, and issues, don't dwell in the problems and hurts and always look for the brighter side. I could write a whole bunch of things...one thing that I keep having a hunch about every time you end this way is that you're seeking affirmation. Stop. It's unbecoming and any affirmation you will receive will only compound the problems in your life. You've got to either accept that you're homosexual and therefore unacceptable in this time to the majority or you've got to seek counseling for your wound(s). This hurt that you bear can't help others. You're responding to the grief. It's making you overly sensitive. This is not the way that can make you better. I have my own wounds and I've got my own tragedy and I certainly didn't ask for it and there's no way that I know that I can get rid of "it" but to respond to the wound is certainly, in my mind, what the devil wants for you because it will keep you from reaching for all that God has attained for you. I'm not sure that this will make sense right now but I am certainly sure that you are very bright and are growing so at some point I think you'll get to where you either accept my words or at least stop hating me for writing it out loud where the world can see. You've got to accept that other people hate and the simple answer is to let them go, decide not to accept their attack and move on without their acceptance and love. I wish that I could drop in for a vis-à-vis chat so I could get a better feel for what I'm sensing...but anyway I suppose you served horseradish and au jus and someone confused the horseradish for cole slaw, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Manny,

    "But I see that you figured out that life isn't really worth living, eventually, once you've had a rest from activity, without work. So I'm glad that you accepted that fact."

    Are you saying life isn't worth living OR life isn't worth living "without work"? These are vastly different statements. I agree with the latter. :)

    "A while back I felt like you were trying to re-create Kurt Vonnegut's voice..which would be fine if you were Kurt or wrote like him but you're not and you don't in your own voice."

    I am not familiar with his work, having not read it, but I usually just write however it strikes me. The words come out as they want to and I leave them as they are. I have never been one to plan a post or pick a topic or writing style intentionally. I literally just sit down and type. What you see is what you get. :)

    "...one thing that I keep having a hunch about every time you end this way is that you're seeking affirmation. Stop."

    This is the best advice anyone has given me in a long time. I know it probably was not easy to write but I thank you for doing so. This desire for acceptance and confirmation from others has haunted me my entire life and it tends to live in a blind spot of myself that I rarely can see into.

    "You've got to accept that other people hate and the simple answer is to let them go, decide not to accept their attack and move on without their acceptance and love."

    This place and space, if I were ever to find it, would be healthy and full of peace. I am trying to realize that I can proactively work for the change I want to see in this world without carrying the pain and wounds of my past on my sleeve. That they come so easily to the surface with little provocation shows me that your insights about me are closer to the truth than I would like to admit.

    Thank you for taking the time to respond and share your view and thoughts here. You have given me a lot to think about and that is always a good thing in my book.

    daemon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, grammar has never been my friend! Once a person has sufficiently rested,life is not worth living without some kind of activity and productivity aka work.

    I was just sure that you had been reading Vonnegut..it is so easy to live such a transparent life that we pick up other people's style..I can be in a crowded room of other tongues and then walk out of the place with an accent like theirs. Not Vonnegut. Duly noted.

    Please go on telling us about your life not about the haters or the religious minded that really don't know God. All of us who are diverse already know about them. Being somewhat like you, I always have to remember that it is the Holy Spirit who does the work in people's lives (for change) my flesh profits nothing.

    I always have something to write to just about anyone in general..but it has been my problem to do just that for too long..taking this little writer's hiatus for many reasons but I do enjoy reading works like yours. Sorry if I've been over-stepping. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete