Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Words I typed

Just got home from work and thought a life update was in order. It was an incredibly fun but busy weekend. Through some stroke of luck, I actually had Friday through Sunday off of work (rare in the culinary and food service world) and was able to spend time with family and friends, cramming entertainment, life and rest into the same mixed bag of three days.

What all did I do? Here we go, in no particular order...

Friday: Me day, all day.

Saturday Morning: I went with my family (Dad, Mom, brother) and huge group of friends to welcome my sister back to the United States from Peru, where she has been that last 14 weeks. She was volunteering at an orphanage that she visits each year and it was a great homecoming for her. I really do not see her all that much during the year and we have never been particularly close as adults, but I love her and was really glad to see her back safe and sound. She travels all over the world each year into some pretty rough areas in South America, Africa and Asia  so she is never too far from my mind. We had banners, balloons, flowers, cheering and everyone kids running around excited, so I can say it was a definite success. It didn't take too long for her to start smiling and crying but I know it made her day to know that many people from so many different parts of her life took the time to welcome her back and express our love and admiration for the selfless work and sacrifice she gives to those children around the world who so need it most.

Saturday Night: Nickolas called me out of the blue and invited me to grab dinner and to see the new Batman movie. I said, "hell yes", and we had a blast that night! He is an ex-boyfriend of mine, circa 2000, but we have remained fast friends over the years. He had just returned from Colorado and California, where he has been traveling with his boyfriend Stu and it was great to catch up on our lives, hear about his vacation and growing relationship and a little sad to find out he would be moving to Colorado this Fall to join his immediate family (Mom and brothers) there and to be with Stu who is from the Denver area. Completely understandable, of course, but I will miss him a lot. I don't have the space, time or words to explain who Nick is and was to me, but suffice it to say, we will always have a special place in each others hearts and lives.

Oh...and the Dark Knight Rises was AWESOME! We finished dinner and whole lot of talking and I drove like crazy cause we lost track of time. We grabbed our tickets, raced into the theater just as the previews ended and scored amazing seats front and center. The movie blew me away, to say the least. (I am easily impressed as I don't get to the theater that much, but still, I loved it!) Afterwards we headed back to his house and sat out on the deck, under an amazing moon and talked about the past, our present lives and all the hopes and dreams we both have for our respective futures. We still really 'click' a lot, and yes, he still is sexy as hell, but while we may flirt and joke around, I have too much respect for relationships, Stu, him and myself to ever consider doing any more than that. We have both grown up into men, from the boys we were and that bond of friendship we share now is great. I think I will just shut up about him now, cause I am wandering down memory lane and rambling.

Sunday: Hmm...Sunday was a morning watching the city wake up at my coffee shop. Went for a long, top down drive around the lake and some of my favorite country roads. Actually went to church at Jacobs Well and caught up with friends I had not seen all summer. Had lunch with Bruce, Mark and Jeff and then wiled away the evening over a few cocktails on the patio at the club and some really good conversations with my buds. Watched a little Olympics. Correction, watched a lot of guys and talked about them while they competed. :D Hmmm. It was a great day and night and a solid way to end a fun weekend.

That's about it for my update. The work week is flying by. There are some new interesting changes and personal opportunities soon to come there that I am excited about. We are still hiding indoors from the heat here in the MidWest and I am soooo ready for Fall to get here. I didn't realize I had this many words in my head about stuff, so I will just stop right here.

daemon

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an excellent weekend :) Glad things are going well :*

    ReplyDelete