Tuesday, January 2, 2018

More thoughts

I like these quiet times in the morning. They are usually filled with some task to complete as I usually try to tackle one thing each morning to put me further ahead, be it cleaning, organizing or simply practicing a new song on my piano. If I get something done before I leave for work, it makes my day that much better. But this morning, besides the mundane every day tasks of getting ready and preparing for a short week at work, I have simply been listening to music, sipping my coffee, with my feet literally up on my desk.

Not a bad way to start the day.

Something I tried this last month was to stop watching television in the evenings. Many nights, after dinner, I would read a few chapters in whatever book I was working on but more often than not, I would sit quietly and listen to music. Hours of it in fact. It certainly made a change for me in my mood and how I would sleep at night. Many times, I would find myself singing along or humming when I didn't know the words but could follow the tune. I think it is a practice I am going to continue for a while. I can't say that I missed anything and know that I have gained much more than I have lost. There is something peaceful about simply listening and seeing where that takes you in time and place.

This week is going to be wild at work. We have all the employees returning from vacation and holiday breaks and the volume of prep and service will increase ten fold. I have to admit, I am looking forward to it, to the rush and thrill that comes from performance at peak volume and the satisfaction of a job well done when you walk away for the day. I have already been making lists in my head this morning and am thankful that Kevin went in yesterday to get the produce, meat, bread and dry goods order put away and organized in preparation for a busy week. That kid is awesome and getting better as time goes by. Glad we decided to put him in a white coat. He has certainly risen to the occasion.

I realize I am going to have to take some time to post an update, both in my profile, as well as here in posts, to bring others and even myself up to speed on the life changes that have occurred in the last four years during my writing hiatus. I really never stopped writing, but all those words and adventures are confined to the volumes of journals that joined all the others on the shelves from the past. I shifted from the blog to handwriting for a while due to many circumstances, and I will tackle that beast of a story at a later time. Promise.

This music has got me ready and pumped for the day, though I have to attribute some of that to a good stretch, and all the coffee that I ingested over the last hour. It is going to be a great day! I truly hope, whoever, wherever you are, that you have a fantastic one as well. Thanks for reading these words and sharing even just a bit of my life. Let's go do this!

daemon

No comments:

Post a Comment