Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Miles and Smiles



Wow...it seems like ages since I jumped on here to write, but life has been a combination of tempestuous water spouts and peaceful doldrums. Back up here in the city for a few days and enjoying getting some time in with friends and family that I have sorely and strangely missed. The pace is much quicker than at the lake, but there is much to be said for having my coffee shop time and strolling the aisles of bookstores and shops, looking for my latest find.

The house is all set up down there and I feel a certain peace and satisfaction while drinking my coffee and waking up as the sun rises over the water. The peaceful slap of the waves against the dock and meandering deer in the woods behind the house set a tranquil tone that brings a contented sigh to my lips. The house lies at the halfway point of the enormous Lake of the Ozarks. Halfway there and halfway far, almost in between the middle of nowhere and somewhere. I did not set up the Internet or satellite so am enjoying residing in relative quiet. I have phone service once on the road or in town, but otherwise I cannot be reached, except by mail or car. This has made for much introspection and thinking on my part, and I can actually read a whole book through or listen to my music without interruptions of life and people. It is kind of my fortress of solitude, if you will. This was certainly a good decision.

Much writing is being done and I have been able to take a good, hard look at my life and kind of asses where I am at, and where I am going. It is my Walden Pond...if I can be so smarmy and ironic. The water draws me every time. I have spent a few nights out on the water and have got the best sleep, being lulled and soothed by the waves slapping the hull. Come morning I set sail and charted my course. Inland sailing is so different than open sea though, more challenging and a thinking sailors game.

Behold the power of the wind...

There are four different towns near by, Laurie, Versailles (pronounced Ver-Sails by the locals for some odd reason no matter how much I try to explain French to them), Gravois Mills and resort city of Osage Beach. I say "near by", but they all take a quite drive though the lake roads, back woods and small highways and toll roads to get there. Found a great coffee shop in Laurie I like called Omega, good espresso, pastries and hipster locals, found a solid small bank, nice gas station, locally owned grocery store, amazing florist and well lit car wash that I can live with and my library, so it is not like being totally cut off from the world. I have made some new friends and certainly enjoy the company of the guys and girls who live around me as well. I have met more girls than I ever have in my whole life, and the guys are just awesome! No one really gets up in your business, though my orientation certainly makes for interesting conversation, when asked. Guess they don't have many gay guys who are local, mostly tourist and summer trade. It can get hard at times with all the half naked dudes running around, but just one sun burned, fat whale normally cools me off! LOL

Met a cool guy named Seth who lives around the cove. We went cliff diving the other afternoon and I managed to slip on a talus slope and scrape myself all up from head to toe. I still climbed higher and dived farther than he did! He is really smart and curious and I enjoy spending time boating, boarding and exploring the lake and woods with him. What a talker! He is down for the summer while off college and pretty much takes care of his parents house and toys during the summer. Nice work, if you can find it. I must say, he sure is easy on the eyes, but we know the score...


A bunch of us guys and girls went skinny dipping under the full moon the other night. That was amazing! Not really a sexual experience, (though there sure were some nice things to look at!) but visceral and very human. There is a certain easy laughter and smile that comes to you at the lake and being naked with your friends seems natural. The water so cold and slick on your skin, that feeling of weightlessness as you float on your back, the heavens sky filled to overflowing with stars, the warm, humid air breathing on your face, the splash and laughter of friends, horseplay and tomfoolery, and then just laying out under the moon to dry as the breeze raises the flesh on your arms. It is going to be a great summer!

Michael is on vacation in Atlanta and Jekyll Island for a couple weeks. He took Fallon with him as well, so it is certainly quiet at home. I miss him bunches, but we have stayed in touch. He is having a blast with old friends and Brandon is always good for him. Can't wait till he gets back though! The empty bed pretty much sucks and I find myself cuddled up with my body pillows more often than not. It is just weird to roll over and not find him curled up inside my arms. I cannot wait for him to come down to the lake and meet everyone! Yeah...I do miss him bunches. Anyway... *sigh*

Culinary school in the fall. Not sure if I have ever mentioned that. A dream I have had for years. Got a full ride scholarship for Hotel and Restaurant Management and going to Minor in the Culinary Arts and get my Chef Toque! I am so excited, but more on that later.

Went and got a physical yesterday. Got tested again, which always makes me a bit nervous. Will get my results back in two weeks. This one was the full work up and battery. I think they collected a little bit of everything from me! I HATE needles, but I was calm and the techs and docs are pros. They better be for what the insurance company and I pay them! So yeah, I am not too worried, but still a little unsettled. That is just the reality of life in. So if you are reading this, and you are sexually active, go get tested. It is your responsibility to know your status and protect yourself and your partners. Every six months is a good start. Know your body. Knowledge is power!
Got into an altercation of sorts the other day. I guess three guys took exception to my telephone conversation with Michael and decided to be small minded and cruel. I held my own pretty well, but am pretty banged up on top of my cliff diving scrapes. It certainly wasn't the first time and won't be the last. It could have been a lot worse I guess? Words did not calm the situation so I had to talk to them in a language they understood. Sure wish it had not come to that. My heart and head is more hurt than my body. Why is there still so much hate and violence in this world against people unlike ourselves? I filed a police report, but could sense nothing was going to be done about it. Such is the Ozarks and South I guess. I have a lot of thoughts and emotions on this whole thing, but will write about it later, maybe. I am glad it was me and not someone smaller or weaker. I will be okay. I always am.

Many miles of driving these curvy and twisty roads. I freaking love it down there! Highway driving is so boring compared to top down, nap of the earth cruising. That will be on thing I will miss once summer is over. We have many deer everywhere, but you learn when they are out and how to stay safe. Had an armadillo attack my back bumper the other night in the parking lot. Had some groceries back there and he decided he wanted in! Some nasty scrapes, but no real damage. Finally had to get him off of there with my boot. Poor little guy...

Oh well, I am running out of words and it is almost time to get to dinner. I am glad to be in town. The Men's Breakfast in this Saturday and I am looking forward to the 4rth of July! Hanging out with my Dad and going to the Good Guys Car Show with my Dad, like we always do. Not sure what hot rod we are taking this year, but we always have a blast! Later all,

Daemon

No comments:

Post a Comment