Sunday, October 3, 2010

Long drives, leisurely lunches and football.

Today was a great Sunday, albeit started a bit oddly. Woke up with a muscle spasm at 4:30 am which prompted a walk around the neighborhood before sunrise to ease it. I felt incredibly emotionally fragile and out of sorts for some reason, but in retrospect that may have been a combination of stress, meds and lack of real rest due to thoughts, cares and pain the last few days.

Came back in, took a long hot shower and managed to grab a few more hours of sleep before the bright sun peaking in tickled my eyes and warmed me awake. Everything looked just right, but I still felt odd. Like a missingness or something wrongness that I could not put my finger on. So I did what I always do, when in doubt, follow the routine.

Took another shower, got all scrubbed and shaved and finally got to wear a light sweater and one of my fave leather jackets this morning. Dropped the top and took a long drive around the city, slowly circling into my coffee shop, where I arrived a few hours earlier than normal. I had a great book I am devouring and spent my time sipping international brews on ice and reading. Listening to music, watching people. Saw FC, my coffee shop boy crush that I have had for at least 4 years that I never talk to...long story. We stared at each other, smiled and left it at that. I patted his dogs head and nodded. That's about all we ever make of this strange attraction and energy we have sensed all these years. How we both have changed over time since we first caught each other staring at each other through plate glass. Will I ever talk to him again? I doubt it. We kind of like exactly what it is and is not.

Carlton showed up. I called him Toby like I always do and we talked family, kids cars (his) and my simple life. He is a friend from elementary school who I see infrequently but it is always good to catch up on life and check in as the men we have become. He calls me Jarrod, kind of an inside joke, hard to explain, but he is doing well. Was taking his little boy to the Ren Fest today. Is it that time of year already again? Wow...how time flies. Last time I went was with Stephen and I was worried I was falling in love with him. Turns out I love him, but like a brother, not a boyfriend. Thank God that became simple!


Headed to church and Gerard spoke this morning. Good stuff on community and how we Rest, Pray and Play together as a church. I love hearing him speak in his earnest and straight forward manner. Theologian and seminarian by day, J.Crew sales guy by night and weekend. So well read AND dapper... the whole package, but married to a girl of course. Seems like the girls snap up all the good ones pretty quick. I KID!!!

Headed out after church, still in pain from my back, but enjoying the warm sun and then Stephen called to take me to lunch. I grabbed my meds and met him downtown at Pizza Bella, which was closed, so we headed over to D'Bronx and chowed down on some great eats. I had the meatball sub and antipasto small plate and he has some cheese sampler and couple slices. Great talks about what has been going on our lives since we hit Colorado and the ways we are growing and are in need of support and prayer. I love that guy. Ended up strolling around the 39th street corridor, window shopping and talking, kind of like a date, but just between buds. Hard to explain. I don't see him in a romantic or sexual light, but a close and dear friend he is. So cool he is comfortable in his own skin and doesn't shirk from talking about anything at all with me.

He needed to go cook for tonights group and I decided to head over to my parents to check on them. Ended up that Mom was kind of down physically, so ran to the grocery store for her, cooked some dinner for my Dad and then watched the NFL game with him. Kind of nice to just sit and talk about nothing more than sports and what we have planned for the weeks. I know retirement for him has not been easy and he has a lot on his plate, emotionally, spiritually and physically. He just hasn't been the same lately, but at least we are getting on better after some rough patches. He will always be my Dad and I love him, come what may.

So now back at home, sitting with my feet up, ice pack in my back and planning this next week. Got therapy for my back all week, hope that does some wonders. My doc is so hot, doesn't help, doesn't hurt...lol He does good stuff for me and is certainly helping with the pain. Have some consulting jobs lined up to fill time and give me something to do. More brains than brawn. Hope to get more reading in this week and catching up on some things I have neglected around the house and grounds. All in all...life is good. I think I can get used to this.

Daemon


PS: Pretty boring life right now, eh? I don't mind it. Drama free = more smiles. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment