Wednesday, November 30, 2011

My day

So work went smoothly today, though it was rather long. I managed to finally escape the kitchen after 10 hours. Though weary, I left with a feeling of accomplishment in a job well done. I prepared several boxed dinners before I left and spent some time taking food to my parents, some neighbors as well as my friends. Salads, fried chicken, meatloaf, mashed potatoes, gravy, green beans, dinner rolls, cheesecake and chocolate chip cookies. I just dropped in and surprised them all and that was a lot of fun. Unexpected gifts of good food never fail to bring a smile to your loved ones faces. I really dig my job some days.

After getting home, I avoided the computer, the television, my music, chores and new books and laid down to rest. I ended up waking up at 6:30 pm and realized that tonight was our guy's group at Greg's place, so texted him to see if it was still a go. He shouted back fast, so I threw on a sweater and some jeans and headed into the city. He has this amazing loft in the River Market that commands some spectacular views of the river as well as the skyline.

I arrived just a 'lil late and decided to sit outside the group on the floor and merely listen. That of course didn't go well with everyone so Greg grabbed another chair from his bedroom and insisted I sit with everyone. I kind of was comfy against the wall observing but I went ahead and complied, knowing it was important to him and the others.. This is a group of 10-15 guys from my church that get together once a week to download life and share what is filling our days, heads and hearts. Many of my close friends were there, but there are also others I am just slowly getting to know, so it always makes for a good crowd and discussion over coffee, some snacks and good music.

So I just listened. I didn't participate, merely sat there and heard what others had to say this week and to be honest. I enjoyed myself. This is certainly a very diverse and unusual group of guys from all walks of life and backgrounds. One guy writes amazing poetry and shares it. Some of the guys play music and sing. One by one, they all share what is in their hearts and mind this day. It is a really neat way of bonding and building community that really doesn't happen much these days outside of a bar with copious amounts of alcohol to lower our inhibitions enough to be authentic. Now granted, it's not some sappy bromance love fest either, but it is good for all of us and for our souls as men.

I slipped out at the end and checked in with a friend from the Navy. Been helping him work on his Wrangler and were planning on going shooting at the range this Friday on my day off. We both have some new toys we have been itching to try and I know it's going to be a good day. It is going to be packed for sure. Meetings with two different friends, finding time to enjoy myself and then blow off some steam at the range. Shaping up as a good day off indeed.

Driving home tonight, I had a lot on my mind and decided to come home and write for a bit. Nothing really weighing me down but I have realized that I cannot escape faith. In fact, in letting go of many of the things I have been taught my whole life, I am actually finding belief growing stronger. Strange, that.

So now I am eating a late dinner, catching up on news and friends and generally winding down my day. Nothing huge to report. It is 11 pm and all is well. I hope that you can say the same.

daemon

PS: That watch is a Nixon 51-30 that I have been dating for almost a year now. I might just have to pull the trigger and buy myself an early Christmas gift tomorrow. I freaking love that thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment