Saturday, July 31, 2010

USS Missouri: USN-780 Commissioning!


Wow! Up early today! So excited cause this morning is the commissioning of the Navy's newest Virginia Class submarine. She is the USS Missouri and my Dad, myself and some shipmates of mine will be at the ceremonies here at home in Kansas City! They are streaming the celebration live to the downtown arena and it is going to be amazing! I have been at several of these ceremonies at Groton, CT and there is something inspiring to see these boats make their way out to sea, under their own power. Sea trials are done, underway boys, make your speed five knots. Man...the freakin' memories all this brings back.

I made sure to include my Dad in all of this today, as we have been spending more time together this summer and I have tried to give him a closer look at a slice of my life and all that it entails. While he may not understand everything about me, the things that we do love and share certainly bring us tighter together and I am so grateful for the time we have to make up for so many years that kind of got lost, school, college, Navy, my travels. Stuff just kind of creeps up on ya! We both have served our country, and that certainly binds us together as men, not just Father and Son. We sure do make an odd pair! :)

We head down into the city in about an hour and I am up and ready, looking 5.0 and squared away. It's been awhile since I put on my uniform, but it still feels like a second skin in some ways. I have not written much about my time in service, but I may get around to that some day. I have mixed emotions at times when I think of those years spent in the Sub Force. It definitely was an eye-opening and horizon broadening time of my life. I never knew so many guys could know each other so well, intimately in fact, and come together as a cohesive unit, an organism, all for a common purpose and accomplish so much. I have yet to see that kind of love, loyalty, courage, commitment and passion in the civilian world among men, and probably never will. There is something to be said for the Sea, and what she does to the souls of men. She still calls out to me. It is a song I will hear till I pass on.

Just sitting here, sipping my coffee and walking over memories. Won't bore ya with the details as of yet, but those were some amazing years and adventures. The Silent Service, it sure was an amazing voyage. Tonight will be nutz I am sure, but it's going to be a great weekend! Hope you all enjoy yours! Anchors Aweigh!

3 comments:

  1. How in the world do they get a submarine in Kansas City? Are they going to portage it all the way to the coast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magnets, man. That and come heavy rope...LOL

    Nah, they just streamed the event live from Groton, to the location we were having our own ceremony in MO.

    Silly goose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL I was wondering that too. :) Anyways sounds like a great event! Ya someday would be cool to read more about your navy adventures.

    ReplyDelete