Tuesday, September 14, 2010

One Year

It is hard to believe that I have been writing here on my blog for just over a year now. Reflecting on that thought has not brought me any earth shattering ideas or profound ideas this morning, but I am happy that this habit of reflecting out loud to others has stuck with me. Time passes so quickly at times and it is neat to see what these last 365 days have been.

I have found love and then let it find me. Dealt with heart break and loss with the help of my faith and friends. Dramatic life change is in the works from working 12 hour days to time off waiting for Culinary School to start. Switched from a red convertible to a green one. Grown my hair out, just a bit, but still a dramatic step for me. Settled into my church community and started being more involved in the lives of those interested in me and my journey. Climbed a few mountains, swam in one ocean, spent way too much time at the lake, camped out on several occasions, got to know my family better, made more than a few mistakes in the bedroom, fumbled my heart up a bit, got back in shape and trimmed my life down to simple. Saved more than I have lately, spent much less, invested time in things I believe in, read some amazing books and heard such fantastic music. All in all, not so bad of a year.

What does this one hold? I am not so sure. I am at peace with myself, even though others are not and I am learning to listen to me, instead of seeking the approval of each other person perceived as knowing more about this path I am on. Trusting my instincts has proven to be a good thing, and those who speak out against it all need to learn that this is my life, my choices and I am happy with who I am becoming. Do I screw stuff up? Sure...I think we all do at times, but I am learning with each step I take.

I have not become some epic writer. I do not know how to capture in narratives all the fascinating and intricate details that I experience. This blog has been somewhat of an over view of my days, but it is my life. I hope this next year to work on my writing craft, figure out how to take people with me on the journey and bring into focus all those areas of my present and past on paper, so to speak. Not only for the benefit of my friends who read here, but also for myself, so when I peer back at the days that came before, I will have a more clear picture of who I was, and who I am now.

Daemon


PS: If you want to read some amazing writing that captures life, check out these articles by Nathan Gunter. Queer as Faith

This guy knows how to lay some words down about the things he sees and lives each day. I never come away from his writing without seeing a bit of myself, an interesting take on life and an admiration for a word smith who gets the job done and touches me.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on a year of blogging! Always enjoy reading your blog and seeing a glimpse of your life.

    ReplyDelete