Monday, September 6, 2010

Weekend review






Welp...Labor Day Weekend will be officially over in about an hour and I just got home from hanging out with friends. This has certainly been a restful and happy weekend with no regrets for a change.Rained a bit this evening while I was in Midtown, but otherwise 4 whole days of nothing but beautiful skies, cool breezes and happy people.

 VERY sore from riding the mechanical bull yesterday night at the Rodeo BBQ, but man was it worth it! So much fun!!! I ended up on him 4 different times and think that my best time was 23 seconds. Oh man, the inside of my legs and crotch today...ouchie. I think it was from all that gripping and bucking? Stuff  I have not been using lately up in there. Oh well, it will get better. Walk it off...like they say. At one point they had three riders on at once, my friend David and them being big dorks...but yeah, if you get a chance to ride a bull, real or not, TAKE IT! Everyone who jumped up there, strapped their hand in and held on was smiling like a 5 year old kid! Wow...such a good time! I love the Rodeo, reminds me of being a kid and all that farming stuff. Saw so many good riders, amazing horses, good people, cute cowboys (love them Wranglers!) killer food and of course the hysterical and brave clowns. I dunno how they do it!

Church was intense Sunday. My friend Edward was back from Africa for a short while and spoke that morning on faith. We took us through 8 verses in Hebrews 11 and then shared what God has been doing over there in Kenya with the tribes he lives with and ministers to. It is so hard to believe that it had been an entire year since I last hugged him goodbye and watched him leave. He has grown so much and it is just an amazing story what is happening over there with the Pokot Tribe. They have dug 11 wells now to date and have now broken ground on a school for the children. A war like and nomadic group of people are settling down into an agrarian lifestyle and actually building community with one another instead of raiding all the time. So good to see, hear and touch him again before he takes off for Baylor for a while.

Spent some time with my Dad and Mom today. Cooked dinner and ate together. Just kind of played it by ear and all seemed well and peaceful. Did not bring anything up that could upset my Dad and just enjoyed great food and catching up on all the family has been up to. My little sister is preparing for Peru and Africa again, my brother's little one turned 3 years old, business is booming for him and he is happy. They have been traveling all over the past few months visiting friends and family, checking in on those they haven't seen for a bit and spreading some happy all over the place. I think next year I will join them in Plymouth for Thanksgiving and the National Congress of Mayflower Descendants. I went once about 8 years ago and am even more excited to head back East again. I still do not know what to think about all those words that passed from my Dad to me, but I am just going to hold my peace and wait.

Had a great time at all the events this weekend, the BBQ, the parties, church, concerts and just palling around with my buddies. Spent some time playing soccer, flying mah kite, frisbee, coffee, music...all the stuff I love! Made a new friend and got to see him again tonight. We all played Wii for awhile, which was cool, since I always watch but have never played. One his friends showed me how and it was a blast!

His name is Troy, little younger than me, interesting story. We spent a lot of time talking this weekend, hanging out, learning about each other, meeting each others friends. He really seemed to need someone to listen to him, so that is what I did. Hung out at the park, played outside, all my normal stuff...which for him and his life was really strange. He has forgotten how to have fun and is really trying to figure out what he wants out of life. I'll prolly write more about him later as I get to know him better, but he certainly looks to be a good friend. Pray for him, if you think about it. He is one amazing guy and really makes me smile.

Sooo...tomorrow life starts up again, I think I am ready for that. I have a to do list a mile long, but taking it one step at a time. That is all I can do...right? Hope that you all had an enjoyable and refreshing holiday and that this post finds you safe, smiling and loved.

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment