Tuesday, September 7, 2010

A question that I cannot answer...

This goofy picture was sent to me today by a friend of mine as a joke. He told me we should get some and try it out...see what happens? I had a good laugh about it and gave him a call, but it did raise a question in my head.

If there was a "NoMoHomo" pill...something that would instantly and painlessly change my sexual orientation...would I take it?

And if I would or would not take it...what would be my reasons for or against it?

I think the answer to this, had it been asked me as a child would have changed back and forth over the years, sometimes, moment by moment. Depending on the joy and love or heart break and hurting, I have both loved and loathed my sexual orientation.

But something interesting also came to me as we talked about this.

The negative feelings, emotions and thoughts I have had have ALWAYS come from outside of me. Someone else, an organization, a church, a person or group, society...something other than myself.


On the other side of my heart...


The positive feelings, love and acceptance I have felt have ALWAYS come from within myself or  from some one who loved me, such as a boyfriend, family or good friends.

I cannot say it has helped me answer the question of "Gay-Away" but certainly given me something to think about today.

What about you?

Would you take the pill?

Why?

3 comments:

  1. Hmm interesting question. I really dont know. On the one hand I have always wanted to be straight. But on the other maybe God has a reason for letting me be like this and if I took some magic pill I would not learn the lessons I am supposed to. But on the other hand I do still wish to maybe marry a woman someday and this would make it easier. But then again maybe it would be the easy way out.

    Hmm there is also other questions like would it take the gayness away and make you asexual? Or make you attracted to women?

    I wonder what the side effects would be though for such a pill? :)

    Basically its a really good question. I kind of am surprising myself by my answer that I would not instantly just take it. It would be something I would have to think over carefully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there was a pill that would make me stop craving tobacco, lusting after women, being judgmental, gossiping, and being a reeking hypocrite, I would take it in a heart beat...IN A HEART BEAT!...assuming that the side effects do not cause hair to grow on my tongue.

    But Jesus didn't choose to instantly sanitize us from our struggles as soon as we chose to follow him. It's these issues & struggles that cause us to be dependent on him, and draw us closer in our relationship. (Assuming that a few of us will be honest enough to admit the issues and choose to lay them at his feet.)

    Maybe it's an "American" kind of thing, that we would hope that science can come up with a pill for our problems.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No. I wouldn't take the pill. Life might be easier or at least very different, but this is something I was born with and there has to be a purpose behind it. Besides, there is nothing to cure. I was not born with a "gay illness." When I am in love with a great man who is in love with me, no way I would trade that. Then there is the joy of sucking...

    ReplyDelete