Sunday, September 5, 2010

Singular day

An unusual day today in that it found me alone. From my waking moment, the the moment I will sleep shortly, I spent no time with another person. I think that every single weekend has been booked with some type of event with family, friends or what the heck ever comes up, so to spend time with just myself, for an entire day, at my house was refreshing.


At first this morning, I kept looking for excuses to leave the house. I put the top down on the car, got ready and then realized I had nothing planned, no where to go, so I turned around and went back inside. I know the consequences of what happens when I just wander off into the city with money in my pocket and no plans. Those days usually draw me back to a place where I find regrets stacking up in my head and weighing on my heart.

Each task I encountered today proved interesting. I sat in the sun and read a book. Then I put the book down and just sat there, taking in the beautiful day and just being present. I washed the cars, did some gardening, tidied up around the house, the usual chores, ya know? But I didn't call anyone or leave for an entire day. I let all my calls go to voicemail, except for one from a great friend who lives out of state, only returned a few texts that required information and that is it. Just me, all day. And I just kept finding reasons to stay home.

Somewhere in all that time I was reminded of how much I really like myself and what an amazing thing this life I have is. With so many things in the way, I kind of stopped listening to myself there for awhile and forgot the me part of life. It has been we and us, and they for so long...I kind of lost "I".

So yeah, I'm ready to hop in the car and head out tomorrow. See some of those amazing other people in this world. I hope they can see the peace in my heart and smile back at me.

I hope.

1 comment: