Thursday, March 4, 2010

Lunch time and Dad



I like being clean! Took a long hot shower and scrub in the sunshine today and genuinely reveled in being myself and this body I have. I am not talking about some kind of self serving narcissism that comes from loving oneself and appearance above all others, but that satisfaction that comes from being at peace with yourself and truly enjoying this amazing gift we have in our physical bodies.

Much to be thankful for today as I completed the simple tasks that make my life run much smoother when times are hectic. All the laundry done and folded into its neat little stacks. Changed the bed linens and aired out the house. Spring is in the air and everything around me is waking up to the possibility of new life! I cannot wait to get back outdoors and start digging into all my planting projects, tending the gardens and flowers and I am simply dying for some sweet corn! I appreciate life and this space I have made for myself. I am me...and me is happy!

Was working on some homework today for a class I am taking and had to answer many questions about my Dad and I. What our relationship is like, how he raised me, the man he is and the man he called me out to become. The name he gave me. What I have made that name come to be known as. Our love, the way we communicate. Places and times that he failed and hurt me. Events where I hurt him, or brought him disappointment. It was kind of hard to work through that all, but a necessary thing to do, in order to become more at peace with myself, with my Dad and my present. An easy way to sum it up, as the relationship we share is private, is that...My Father, my Dad is my hero. I only wish someday to be the man that he is. As I grow older, the more we realize in the family, that I am the son most like him. I am my Father's son.

Cooking lunch now, some braised pork chops with mushroom and thyme stuffing, Honey caramel apple sauce and some new crisp green beans. I can hardly wait to get my grub on. Food and cooking has always been an art form to me, and sharing that with others is one of the ways that I show love and thankfulness for them. Food meets needs of our body, but the sharing of meals feeds our souls. I have so many happy memories linked to cooking with friends and family, gathering around tables or outdoors to eat, talk and simply enjoy each others presence. The way to a man's heart is often through his stomach? I think there be some truth to that. We associate that instant with all the times we have been fed when hungry, by our Mom's, our Fathers, family, dates, friends. Many of these shared times revolve around a meal.

I like food!

Well, it is almost time to feed, so I will leave you with this simple thought. Be good to yourself. Love the body you are in. Smile at others today and share a bit of the amazing love that can be found by simply caring for someone else.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment