Thursday, October 29, 2009

Conviction


Today was humbling. I have been wrong in many ways, as a Christian, and have been hiding behind a number of different excuses. The plain facts of the matter are, I have been tolerant of sin in my life. This is not a revelation based on someone else speaking truth to me, but the simple realization and conviction that I have not been living the life that God called me to that cold January 5th night.

At that time, He asked for my life, forsaking all others, to follow Him on a journey that will end in our reunion. I said yes and took those first steps in faith towards the simple truth that I had found.

Since that time my focus and gaze has wandered and been sidetracked. I have chased and acquired money, possessions, pleasure and an entire list of things that qualify me as human. I am without excuse. I am also loved, forgiven and free.

True repentance starts with a turning away from my selfish wants and desires and walking in the opposite direction towards Him and His will and goals for my life. Giving money and time to good things does not absolve me from the consequences of my actions, nor does it discharge the great debt that I owe. I cannot settle for second best.

I am deciding to chose life again. I must want whatever He may want. I am not here simply for myself and there is a higher calling and purpose that I am to live out. While I do not know what this may be, I have to walk away from the things that have not brought me success in His eyes.

I will not weep for the past, but I will mourn the time lost. Like the old song says, "I have decided to follow Jesus...no turning back...no turning back. Though none go with me, still I will follow."

Tomorrow is a new day, and I chose to fill it with good things. My hope is in the Lord.

Jude 17-25

But, beloved, remember ye the words which were spoken before of the apostles of our Lord Jesus Christ;

How that they told you there should be mockers in the last time, who should walk after their own ungodly lusts.

These be they who separate themselves, sensual, having not the Spirit.

But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,

Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

And of some have compassion, making a difference:

And others save with fear, pulling them out of the fire; hating even the garment spotted by the flesh.

Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,

To the only wise God our Saviour, be glory and majesty, dominion and power, both now and ever. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I am praying for you. Remember the Christian life is a daily walk, not a sprint. We have to decide each day to deny ourselves, pick up OUR cross (the one HE gave us, not somebody elses nor one we chose for ouself)and follow Him.

    Never give up, don't grow weary and don't lose hope. (Galatians 6:9)

    Love ya man!

    Erik

    ReplyDelete